Monday, March 2, 2009

I Apologize

Monday, March 2, 2009
Some stuff has come up in the real world that has prevented me from engaging the virtual world of my blog. My wife's grandparents have become quite ill which prompted an unexpected trip to see them and help out this last week. So, needless to say, I have not had a chance to update the blog (nor have I had access to the internet to let you know). 

I plan to post two at once this week to catch up. I'm sorry about that. Also, a side note... I plan to get back to engaging the culture/world around us... so much has happened that I wish I had more time to comment on...
  • Bristol Palin's comment that abstinence is not realistic (I beg to differ - it's not easy, but in a world of "fulfill me and my selfish desires above all," that sort of answer is not surprising)

  • Dustin Lance Black's Oscar acceptance speech for his "Milk" screenplay in which he tells gay children/teens who are told they are "less by their churches, by the government or their families..." is a sad testimony on three fronts. First, the fact that there are churches who do say that. Second, that all churches/Christianity are (is) stereotyped as being homophobic and hateful toward gays. Yes, homosexuality is a sin and it has deep issues within the family, but it is no worse than any other sin (this is a much deeper topic that I cannot possibly grapple with in a few sentences). Third, that churches are so willing to die on the hill of homosexuality and not on the glaring sins present within the walls of the churches or their heterosexual members' lives. I digress... 

  • Obama's plans for more funding for faith-based groups/organizations

  • American Idol and the influx of "worship" or "music" leaders from churches (according to my latest, unofficial count - I believe there are 4-5 in the top 36, maybe more). 

  • Alex Rodriguez, steroids, baseball and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. It seems that easy (and gotta-have-it-now) is the official American standard - no matter the cost. Sad. More could be said, but again I digress.

Plus there is more... so much has been happening. I look forward to more dialogue soon. I also think I may begin writing on a more regular basis (than once a week) and begin making the entries shorter. We'll see. 

Look for my next 2 posts to wrap up the series later this week (hopefully by Thursday).

Please remember to pray for both of my wife's grandparents (husband and wife - Milton and Billie)... they are both in the hospital as I type this and have been since last Thursday. 

Also... one last note to my hijacking-blogger wife (for those that missed it, she hijacked my blog and left a very flattering and kind blog entry about me that I was unaware of )... thank you for your amazingly kind and loving words. You humble me. Why you picked me, I'll never know, but I thank God daily that you are my friend, my partner in ministry, my love, the mother of my children and my wife. I pray I make you proud and that God is glorified through our marriage.

  
________________________

2 comments:

Anonymous

On Dustin Lance Black's comments about church and homosexuals, I think that while there may be churches that "die on the hill of homosexuality" caution should be taken in agreeing with Mr. Black. He was making a political statement with no evidence of proof. It has been my experience that most Christians tend to have a love for all sinners and intolerance for a political groups that have a goal of upending traditional family in our country. While I agree it is important to love all sinners, we still need to stand and be counted in protecing the institution of family.

Christian the Christian

Thank you to whoever Anonymous may be for raising this objection. In re-reading my comment (and your objection) I realized I was not clear with the point I was making.
I do not agree with Dustin, except in that people are not "less" because they are gay. Regarding my "die on the hill of homosexuality" comment - I was not speaking against the defense of God's AMAZING institution, family (I agree that it is a Christian's obligation to speak up against anyone wishing to redefine it in any capacity than God designed it to be). I was speaking against plain, unapologetic bigotry that is masked by the guise of Christianity (not faith based in love). Bigotry that is nothing other than a "Christian" speaking against a sin that is different than their sin. While I agree that many Christians are more loving of sinners and less tolerant of political parties/groups that have an agenda to "[upend the] traditional family" (though I think our recent election may show differently), I have personally seen/heard/encountered far too often this ugly bigotry completely void of love. This is simply unacceptable. But to the rest of Mr. Black's speech - I stand in direct opposition of his agenda and do not think giving rights makes an unbiblical lifestyle/situation "right," nor does it make those denied those rights "less."
Thank you, again, very much for your comment. I did a very poor job expressing my opinion in my post (I'd claim I had a cold and it was the cough syrup that made me do it, but alas it was just my own poor choice of words) and I appreciate the gracious call out.

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates