Friday, March 20, 2009

Bracket Madness, Arizona and God

Friday, March 20, 2009
If you live in my neck of the woods, you know the next 2-3 weeks are the equivalent of a national holiday - March Madness! I think there have been some studies done regarding work productivity during March Madness and found that more might have been accomplished had people just stayed home and watched the games! *Cue the proverbial IM "LOL"*

I must confess, I rarely watch many of the games. I do follow the results, but time does not allow me to watch hardly any of the games. I do have a little more incentive to watch some games this year as my alma mater (AZ State) is in the mix, but after a poor performance in the PAC-10 championship game I'm not holding my breath. Still being transparent, while basketball is fairly enjoyable to watch, it reminds me a bit of tennis... back-forth-back-forth-back-POINT! Ball in-back-forth-POINT! I much prefer baseball (whom many have said is as exciting as watching paint dry, but I disagree greatly!).

Something that did catch my eye is the fact that the University of Arizona is in the tournament despite the fact they only had a slightly above average season (there were several teams that should have probably been in over them, according to records, schedules, etc.). This has caused some pretty heated discussion among Bracketers, fans and columnists. To be honest I don't like that they're in the tournament either - but it has nothing to do with their record. They are my alma mater's rival (GO ASU!) so I have NO love for UA! I digress (before my UA tirades begin)...

My lack of love (and the rest of the sport's worlds right now, for that matter) for UA got me thinking about God and His love. It's a good thing He does not base His love for us or our ability to love and know Him based on fickle standards, partiality and team colors (which, for the record, the lighter shade of blue rings true in NC!).

God's love...
  • is not based on records or the difficulty of our schedule (lives). Yes, some seem to have it easier than others, but harder or easier His love is equal and available for all (not just the rich, powerful or well off).

  • is not based on trends or bandwagons. He is on everyone's bandwagon, so to speak (John 3:16)... it's us who choose not to love Him.

  • IS fair and just and always able to be trusted (unlike the NCAA and BCS that seems to adjust their standards year-to-year)

  • has far greater rewards than a temporary championship title (without googling it, can anyone name the 1984 NCAA Champ? 1990 Champ? 2001 Champ?). Titles come and go, and while they are noteworthy accomplishments, they are "perishable crowns" - but the love God offers is imperishable.

  • IS available in abundance for all colors, socio-economic standings, class ranks, family backgrounds, traditions, etc.

While I still don't want UA in any tourney... I thank God that my standard (or yours) is not the standard by which He chooses whom He will love or accept.


Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question.


_________________

3 comments:

Anonymous

I do love that God is fair and just and always be trusted. In a world where it's difficult to find any of those, He is our Rock. Also, the darker shade of blue also rings true in this neck of the woods. Go to Babies R' Us to see light blue. :)

Anonymous

Go UofA Wildcats! They also won the NCAA championship in 1997. Has Arizona State ever won.....?

Christian the Christian

"GO UA WILDCATS?" Who dares put that on this blog? ;-)
I don't think ASU has, but maybe that changes this year!

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates