Monday, April 20, 2009

What Kind Of Happy Meal Are They Selling?!?!

Monday, April 20, 2009
Most have probably seen this commercial by now (I just saw it for the first time last week). It is a Burger King commercial for Kid's Meals featuring Spongebob Squarepants. Kid's Meals!!!!! (The song in it is a play off of the rap song "Baby Got Back" by Sir-Mix-a-lot.)



This is only the 30-second version (there is also a full length 2:31 minute version). I am at a loss for words. The social irresponsibility for this ad is mind-blowing! I don't care if this ad is meant to entice parents to buy the kids meals (the argument BK made to justify the ad) or the kids themselves - this ad is revolting on all levels. How in the world did the questionably "grown" adults who made this ad ever think that a creepy mascot (probably the creepiest image ever to represent a company, restaurant or product of any sort, in my book) measuring the square butts of women dressed as school girls, having them then dance around the creepy mascot while singing "I like square butts and I cannot lie..." (replacing the original song's "I like big butts and I cannot lie...") and about wanting to "get with" Spongebob ever seem like a good idea? What child-rearing demographic with any sense of dignity or morals would ever find such an ad acceptable for their children (or children's products)?

While I would like to think this was a serious judgment error and a back-fired attempt at marketing to parents, Burger King's ads (to my knowledge, all done by the same ad company: Crispin, Porter and Bogusky) have recently all walked and crossed the line of moral acceptability (from Hootie singing about "nice caboose" to "Whopper Virgins"). I hold Burger King, Nickelodeon (because they must authorize the use of their brands, names, characters and trademarks before they can be used commercially) and the irresponsible and obviously uncreative and morally bankrupt ad agency Crispin, Porter and Bogusky responsible.

I can guarantee my family and I will not step foot in a BK again (we already do not watch Nickelodeon) until they (1) change their marketing strategies, (2) begin to take their social responsibility (especially toward children) seriously, (3) stop pushing Spongebob Squarepants as if it is their own trademarked character, and (4) get rid of that creepy "king" character.

Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!

_____________

2 comments:

Anonymous

chill. out.

Stephanie

When Kevin & I first saw this commercial, our jaws just dropped. I was really shocked. Not a big fan of Burger King or Spongebob anyway, but I have a new disrespect for them now. Wow. I guess maybe company's are going for the shock factor these days (i.e. recent Abercrombie ad too) & this is really sad. I just thank God for DVR b/c my kids are those that pick up on jingles quickly & then hum them at random times, and I sure wouldn't want them humming this new song at school or church or anywhere.

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates