Friday, April 17, 2009

Mom and Dad - Time to Grow Up!

Friday, April 17, 2009

I don’t write many entries that are “venting” in nature, but I think it is time adults, especially parents (especially Christian ones) need to grow up a bit. Let’s go ahead and throw down the proverbial Christian trump card and get it out of the way – I know no one is perfect (myself included), but it does not give us the liberty to continue being childish!


What am I talking about? The ridiculous childishness that IS adulthood.


Not for nothing, but as a teenager one reason I looked forward to being adult was being rid of the high schoolish “Do you like me?” Check ‘Yes’ or ‘No’, he said/she said, "I don’t want to be judged", "I want to be loved", “do I look good enough?” drama! At 31, I now see that that reality does not exist…


  • Parents lack backbone to teach their children appropriate, God-based morals for fear of offending someone. It’s no wonder kids and teens are so confused. Schools tell them “safe” is better, tolerance is mandatory (and intolerant people, most notably Christians, are widely ignored and looked down upon), love is blind (which it is NOT), entertainment should be mindless (none of it is made mindlessly, why should we watch it and not question it or its messages?) and that the best guide in life is their heart (which, as Scripture and our own stories affirm, changes day to day and often times leads us to do wrong just to be happy). Parents TEACH and model for your children Godliness!

  • Gossip! He said/she said is alive and well in the world of adults. They even Facebook, Twitter, blog and YouTube their disdain for others! Really? Even in the church Gossip is rampant (the worst of the offenders – those who lift up info about others as a “prayer request”). Here’s a pretty good rule of thumb – if the person you speak of is not in the room, don’t talk about them – PERIOD. This includes doing it at the dinner table or in small talk with your teens/kids!

  • Parents many times are vindictive and juvenile. Don’t believe me? Just today a story was posted about a high school cheerleading coach who posed nude for Playboy. People knew about it (except the school administration apparently) and said nothing – that is until a couple kids didn’t make the cheerleading squad. So, what did the parents of the teens who were cut do? Print the pics and put them on the principal’s desk! Nice. Not at all immature. Do I condone what the teacher did? No – if she wanted to do that, she should have resigned, and then did it (though, again, I do not think she should have done it at all). However, the parents’ response is despicable to me. So, what’s the lesson for our teens? When someone is doing wrong keep your lips shut until you can use it as blackmail later to get what you want. Check.

  • Parents who want to be cool with their kids (note the handful of cases where parents have bought alcohol and such for their teens and their friends). Don’t get me wrong, I am (and want to be) my son’s best buddy, but make no mistake about it – I am his father! That God-given role is the most unique relationship he has in his life right now, until he gets married. My job as his father, my wife’s job as his mother – our collective job as parents – is to teach Truth, model integrity and Godliness, and lead them in the way they should go, even when they don’t get it (and they won’t many times – we didn’t!) and don’t want it (which they won’t, so they think – they’ll thank you later though).

  • Parents who say with their lips “it’s not what outside that’s important but what’s inside” all the while dolling up their teen or looking in the mirror themselves and complaining about their wrinkles, extra curves, or losing the battle with gravity. It’s no wonder teen girls (too include some in my youth group) think looks are everything and view aging as something ugly and in need of avoiding at all costs.

I could easily go on, but I’ll stop for now. Parents, please, please, please take a moment to heed this post. Ask God to open your heart to it and your eyes to it. Be willing to ask “do any of these describe me in any way?” If so, pray God to change your heart with each new day to reflect Truth, real love, integrity and a heart bent toward Him!


“There is much more we would like to say about this, but it is difficult to explain, especially since you are spiritually dull and don’t seem to listen. You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God’s word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food. For someone who lives on milk is still an infant and doesn’t know how to do what is right. Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong." (Hebrews 5:11-14)


“When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things." (1 Corinthians 13:11)


Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!


Image borrowed from http://www.healthline.com/blogs/teen_health/uploaded_images/1577697374_e9a0f7f9dc_m-736343.jpg

_____________________

0 comments:

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates