Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Censorship is Alive and Well

Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Today the Supreme Court ruled that the FCC can regulate the language that airs on television (in particular the time slot formerly known as the “family hour” – primetime television). According to the report, Justice Scalia confirmed the government retains the broad power and authority to police the airwaves and crack down on the indecent language that is coming from the "foul-mouthed glitteratae [in] Hollywood." Accordingly, the FCC has said that a single “fleeting expletive” could result in the offending network being slapped with fines.

I am a fan of this ruling and not because a few cuss words scare me or offend me. I’m a fan because I believe the arts need a little outside regulation. This is not to say that they should not be able to create or display their art, but how and when it is displayed ought to be. I firmly believe that since most artists (in this case Hollywood) do not self-police themselves (or do it well) they need someone to put up a “do not cross this line” boundary for them.

Let the slew of censorship gripes begin…
“What exactly is “indecent” language?"
“It’s not the government’s job to censor…”
“What about their first amendment rights?”

“Media shouldn’t have to censor what kids hear – parents should.”
“What about artistic expression?”


If Hollywood took more responsibility for what they produced and aired, I might change my mind on government censorship. However, Hollywood only likes to push the envelope so I think it is needed. What evidence do I have to say that (as if anyone could legitimately ask this question when you compare today’s shows to those of earlier decades)? The amount of sexuality, near nudity (to include "wardrobe malfunctions"), violence and language (I remember when b**ch was one of those shock words that entered public TV in the 90’s – now it’s regular dialogue) has increased exponentially.

There are so many “watchdog” groups now that I cannot even name a tenth of them and rarely do the execs at the heads of the studios, networks, companies, etc. listen to them. Parents voice their opinion and objections and are largely ignored. If Hollywood was truly concerned with self-regulation this would be a moot conversation because TV would still look like “Leave It to Beaver.” But since producers want to be as “realistic” as possible, they feel they’ve got to push the envelope as far as they can. That is not artistic expression or freedom – that is artistic irresponsibility and selfishness.


I’m all about freedom of speech – trust me!
As a Pastor I fear it is only a matter of time before the speech and freedoms I have to teach and preach Christ, His love and His plan for mankind will be stripped from me (and other pastors). SIDE NOTE: The irony of this situation is that those who are fighting for broader freedom of speech are the same ones trying to limit mine. Laughable. As a musician, I’m all about artistic expression! And as a parent I take my job to monitor what my children watch seriously. HOWEVER… this does not mean that those airing the programs are free from responsibility or accountability.

Kudos Supreme Court!

Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!

____________________

0 comments:

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates