Monday, April 6, 2009

Everyone Loves a Hero

Monday, April 6, 2009

Batman. Iron Man. Spiderman. Edward Cullen. Autobots. Harry Potter. James T. Kirk.

I am a sucker for good Super Hero movies (or movies with a definite hero, period). My wife tolerates them (though I think she secretly enjoys them more than she lets on), but I love them. One movie we both have a common love for is The Dark Knight (she even says it might be her favorite film of all time). Why do we love that movie? Why do I love (super) hero movies? Why do most people love hero stories?

  • As children (especially boys) we all secretly want to be the hero that saves the world from impending doom and is the twinkle in every citizen’s eye, as they lavish us with praise: “Thank you Super Christian, you are my hero!” “Super Christian – here is the key to the city… we are eternally gratefully for your service to us.” *No… don’t be silly. I don’t still think like that… don’t mind my red cape*

  • They reflect the truth of Creation: there is good and evil. This truth resonates within each one of us.

  • They show people (some ordinary, some juiced up on radioactive material, some in weird but cool costumes and some as vampires or wizards or whatever) in morally compromising and ethically challenging situations… it’s how they struggle with being/doing good and ultimately emerge victorious that draws us in and inspires hope (to a certain degree… after all, they are only movies).

  • Seeing good prevail in film inspires us to want to see it in real life, too.

  • We want to see justice prevail, good win and innocents protected. All of these are Biblical qualities that God has built within each of us.

To prove my point a little further, the most anticipated films of the summer are all hero stories: Star Trek (a reboot to the semi-stale franchise), Transformers 2: Rise of the Fallen, G.I. Joe, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Terminator Salvation and New Moon (sequel to Twighlight… due out in November).

Parents of Children: Watch some of these movies (in particular, the age appropriate ones) and ask your kids the question: "other than beating the bad guy, what are some other things that made so-and-so a true hero?" Or say/ask: "it's not always easy doing the right thing, is it? How did so-and-so struggle to do the right thing? Did they make the right choices? If not, how did it hurt them or others? If yes, how did it pay off in the end?" A good movie to start with is Disney's The Incredibles. GREAT family film!

Parents of Teens: Use films like The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Twighlight, etc. to discuss the moral dilemmas present within the film. Talk about the sacrifices it took for the characters to be/do good. Or the consequences associated with their poor choices (both for themselves as well as others who were affected by them). Film is a great tool for teaching and discussing worldview with teens!


Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!


Image borrowed from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pink_finger_prints/2128808897/
______________________

3 comments:

Gracie

Great post. Enjoyed it as always =)

Anonymous

I read your blog, DAD.

Christian the Christian

thank you gracie!! :-)

My precious daughter... my Roo - I am so glad you did! I had no idea you even knew the address to my blog. :-) I am so proud of you. Love God with all your heart, mind and soul baby! ;-) I'll see you in a bit (after work)!

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates