Thursday, April 2, 2009

Interesting Campaign by Skechers

Thursday, April 2, 2009
The other day I was reading Entertainment Weekly when I came across an ad for Skechers Footwear. I normally skip right over ads, but this one caught my eye. Featured in the ad were two teenage boys embracing their parents and above them was the caption "Nothing Compares to Family." It's a great picture and ad. Turns out the family in the ad are Supermodel Niki Taylor, NASCAR driver Burney Lamar and Niki's two twin teenage sons, Hunter and Jake (I only knew who they were because their names were printed on the pic... I don't follow fashion or NASCAR). At the bottom of the full page ad was the caption "Skechers joins Niki Taylor and Burney Lamar in support of Mercy Ministries of America".

Normally I am not a fan of Skechers advertising because it (like most companies) likes to push the envelope and often runs sketchy ads (pun intended) that promote rebellion and immodesty. This ad, however, was completely different. It turns out that Skechers has dubbed 2009 as the year of the family and is committing its charitable giving to various organizations supported by different celebrity families. Throughout the campaign Skechers will purchase ads in different mediums that promote the family and feature a different celebrity family.

While I'm not exactly sure what Skechers' definition of family is (an important question!), it is nice to see a corporation support the family and put a little of their spotlight on them. It's also nice to see them use their giving dollars to support a great ministry like Mercy Ministries. Usually charities that are supported by big companies publicly are those with little to no Godly influence (not that they are less worthy of donations, but Christianity is not usually acknowledged corporately).

Props to Skechers! Now if only they keep this focus!


Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!


____________________

2 comments:

Allison

On a side note, I love Skechers shoes! My favorite pair of shoes is Skechers! They're the best! I hope they keep this up too.

Christian the Christian

I do too! I own one pair of dress shoes by Skechers, given as a gift. We love their kids line especially. They do too... I just hope they keep this up...

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates