Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Remembering Michael Jackson: the Accused, the Musician, the Entertainer, the Man, the "Legend"

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

One of my first complete memories I have of Michael Jackson is when I was a "tween." My brother, sister, dad and I went to K-Mart to pick up some things and as we walked in they handed my dad a raffle ticket telling him to listen for our number to be called to win free merchandise. As we were wrapping up our trip they announced they would be giving away Michael Jackson's newest album (as in "record" that played on a turntable) "Bad." My brother, sister and I were thrilled (no pun intended) beyond words and begged our dad to stay long enough to see if we'd won the album. Very, very, very reluctant (and tired), my dad stayed as an act of love to his children. As the K-Mart employee read aloud the numbers for the album I'm sure they could hear the squeals from 3 anxious children from the back of the store as one by one we heard our raffle ticket's numbers announced. "WE WON!! WE WON!!" we yelled as we tried to sprint to the front of the store to claim our prize. As soon as we got home my dad allowed us to listen to the album and we danced and stomped our feet and snapped our fingers as the record spun.

Some other shameless confessions: I used to wear a generic, sparkling glove that I got from another album ("Thriller," I think) on one hand as I rode my bike to school; I always wanted one of those red, leather jackets with all the silver zippers (though very glad now, fashion-wise, that my parents never got me one!); like many other kids, my brother and I tried often to mimic Michael Jackson's moves (especially his Moonwalk) as we'd sing and dance to his music; my wife (also like many children) tried to copy his Thriller choreography with friends. I was (and I guess I am, still, to an extent) a fan of Michael Jackson's.

Today was the memorial of the now dead King of Pop. Many during the memorial spoke of the accusations he faced (making note of his being found innocent, despite many sketchy and questionable details) and spoke of him as a victim, in a sense, of undeserved public scrutiny. Many paid tribute to MJ, the musician and consummate entertainer. Some sang a selection of his songs. Some recalled memories of his life and career. Many laughed, many recollected their own memories of his music in their lives... many cried.

Of all the things spoken about and shared during his tribute/memorial, the two things that stood out the most to me were:

  1. The frequent references to God, especially in Smokey Robinson's and Marlon Jackson's speeches. Both men not only spoke of God (which is not unusual in a memorial service), but the hope found in Him in life and death. Marlon even shared with the audience that "the Lord has a purpose for everything, and sometimes we just can't see it or understand it. But it will be made clear to us when we reach that ultimate, ultimate reward of being in His presence. And Michael you are right there... you have finished your work here on earth and the Lord has called you home with Him." While there is much confusion to me as to Who exactly the Jackson family believes God to be and how one might go about knowing Him or being able to enter heaven in death, Marlon's eloquent speech was a very fitting reminder for all people about the sweet hope that is found in that "ultimate reward" of being in God's presence one day (and what an amazing reward that truly will be!).
  2. The finale, of sorts, where children, entertainers, family and friends gathered on stage and sang "We Are the World" and a beautiful rendition of "Heal the World." As they sang of the violence in the world and religious struggle seen across the globe, popular religious symbols appeared on the screen in the background as if to encourage coexistence among varying religions. While I believe it is perfectly reasonable to hope that all religions could (should) be able to leave peacefully together, I would hope that any true worshipper of God knows it is impossible for religions that teach very different messages to agree on their primary message of who God is, how to have a relationship with him (or them in some religions), what heaven is and how one might go there after death. For more on that, see my blog post on whether or not religions can truly "coexist." Here is the video from the Memorial of these songs:



Regardless of what anyone's opinion is of Michael Jackson (believe me - I'm not entirely sure where I stand, either), one thing is for sure: he was a force in the entertainment world (for whatever that is truly worth). The only entertaining figure that I can think of that might rival him is Elvis Pressley. While he'll never be a legend in my book (the only people who are legends in my book are my father, mother, brother, sister, wife and children), I am grateful for his music and the memories I hold of my family as we listened and danced to his music when I was growing up. That being said, he was a man... no different than me or any other person. Now that his time is "up," so-to-speak, his music may live on, but Who he truly believed (and worshipped) God to be is all that matters now. I pray he truly knew God as his family believed he did and that Romans 10:9-10 was the testimony of his heart and life.

Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!

_________________________

2 comments:

Gracie

Great post. I'm not sure where I stand either. One thing that stayed with me was his daughter. No matter what any of our opinions of him are/were, she lost her daddy and that baby's heart is broken. My heart went out to her and his other children, as well as his family. He was their son, their brother, etc. While we don't know where he stood in his relationship with God, one thing is certain... The King of Pop met THE KING OF KINGS.

Arisa

i am most definetly with you
i pray michael knew the lord in his heart

he did pray with crouches a few weeks before his death and while there was no "sinners prayer" and they claim they did not BRING MICHAEL TO JESUS, he did not reject the holy spirit, he prayed and sang songs and asked for an anointing of the holy spirit
so thats pretty awesome

i believe jesus never left michaels heart
his song did say "ill never let you part, for you are always in my heart" he wrote that with andre crouch

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates