Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Eminem's "Beautiful" New Old Story

Wednesday, July 8, 2009


Many are calling Eminem's new song/video a departure for him because in it apparently gets in touch with his softer side. While this song is definitely softer than most of his typical fare, the inner battle of hurt and emotion that is waging inside of him is nothing new (as seen in several of his other songs... see his video "When I'm Gone" about his life and his mistakes as an example). The difference now is that his one solace, rap music, is not a place of refuge for him anymore ("I'm so ******* depressed...But I just can't admit Or come to grips, with the fact that I may be done with rap, I need a new outlet..."). A touching point of interest is the setting for this song's video... a struggling (dying?) city, with a bleak outlook and hope appearing to be nowhere in sight: Detroit (Eminem's home city).

I've never been a fan of the content of Eminem's (Marshall Mathers) music, but his talent is undeniable. He is truly a gifted story teller and song writer; however, much of that gift is lost in his struggle to find meaning through angry ranting, vulgarity and a seemingly endless downward spiral. My heart goes out to him. Reading the lyrics to his song "Beautiful" breaks my heart even further. Here is a millionaire artist living "the dream" and surrounded by the world and feeling completely alone and without hope (yet trying to offer listeners hope in being true to themselves).

The cards he was "dealt" (being abandoned as a child, struggling to survive in Detroit, his marriage ending twice, drug addiction, etc.) are no doubt tough, but where Marshall seems to miss it is thinking that this is his lot in life, as if this is God's desire for him. God did not place this life on him, it is the product of a series of decisions made by him and those before and around him (parents, wife, friends, etc.). Now as a man and father he has choices to make... does he continue to live in a world that obviously has not brought him the hope or answers he was looking for? Or go to the Source of life and see if maybe there is more to this life than all that he placed his hope in? The problem is, he is a victim of his own choices and a culture that screams "I don't need help - I can handle this on my own!" In "Beautiful" he says:

Nobody asked for life to deal us
With these bull**** hands they've dealt
We have to take these cards ourselves
And flip them, don't expect no help
Now I could have either just
Sat on my *** and ******* and moaned
But take this situation in which I'm placed in
And get up and get my own

My heart hurts for him. The pain he deals with must be unimaginable and unfortunately it does not sound like it is going to be easing up any time soon. Instead of going to the One who can heal, comfort, forgive and provide answers, he turns back to himself for the same tired answers that leave him "depressed."

Parents: Use this video (be careful searching the song or other videos as many are not edited) and talk about "fate." Is this life nothing more than a random series of events? Or do the choices we make (from the free will given to us by God, the Creator) affect us and the generations that will follow us? Discuss the following quote with your teens and how it applies to them: "The choices we make today dictate the life we live tomorrow" (C2). Eminem says in the song that people should just be "true to you (yourself)"? What does the Bible seem to say about being true to ourselves? Being that God made us in His image, who does He say we are?

Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question.

____________

11 comments:

Allison

It makes me sad too about Eminem. It would be awesome if he came to know and except Jesus as his Saviour and could use his talent to glorify God. He could turn his message of doom and gloom to one of Hope.

Sarathejesusfreak

I think God is the Hole that is missing and he would be happy if he had hope in something besides Music, money, Fans, and fame.

grasshopper

yet another song from Eminem that will be stuck in my head for weeks

David Mck

Eminem has always been a word smith of what i was feeling, he opend windows and even doors, to realize that he may quit rap, and I think this song is almost a pennance for what he has done wrong, his hope and life are his daughters Haily and Laney they are what he wants to work for, thats his new outlet..(I hope)

Moonz

It is very obvious that Marshall has reached the first step to finding God and pulling himself out of the hole he dug himself: realizing what it wrong.
He doesnt want the fans(he made this clear in a few interviews), and wants to be just like everyone else. He KNOWS himself, he just needs to figure out how to fix the problems. For example, if your car breaks down, just because you find out it is because your battery is dead doesnt mean you immediatley have what you need to fix it. But i think if he can get a positive influence somewhere, somehow, maybe he can get out, and i know for sure that God is the only one who can fix this now.

Unknown

I got a letter from a fan, that said
He's been praying for me
Every day and for some reason
It's been weighing on my mind heavy
'Cause I don't read every
Letter I get, but something told me to go ahead and open it, but
Why would someone pray for you when they don't know you?
You didn't pray for me when I was local
And as I lay these vocals
I think of all the shit I had to go through
Just to get to where I'm at
I've already told you at least

A thousand times in these rhymes
I appreciate the prayer, but I've already got
God on my side
Eminem - Be Careful What You Wish For

I think em believes in god, and wants to have a relationship with god but i think he is struggling, just like i did, I just recently became a christian and before i did i was scared, nervous, didnt know how to do it. I think he is def heading in that direction, but i dont think its gonna happen all of a sudden, It will take time, ive fallen in and out of belief and finally gave myself to the lord, and ive never been happier, for some people that didnt grow up in the church it may be more difficult and take a little more time and effort, i think we should all pray for him that he can use his gift to share gods words and influence. I also don't think em is gonna quit rap, i think he just needs to find a new message to rap about, hopefully that message will be god.

Anonymous

I believe that Eminem is one of the best artists to come into American culture in our generation. While I disagree with a lot of the stuff he says, especially in his early years I've ALWAYS been able to find a positive message in his work. From "I'm A Soldier" to "Lose Yourself" and even "White America". Eminem never set out to be a beacon for God and his fame came quickly and out of nowhere. He has matured from an angry young man spitting nothing but venom and anger and hate to show a softer endearing side as a loving father to Hailey Jade and his niece Laney. While Eminem's lyrics aren't always the best at least his anger and frustration was released through the pen and the microphone. Eminem's message of standing tall in adversity and fighting to make something of yourself while being true to yourself is a very good message. I believe God is influencing Eminem, and Hailey is his saving grace. Maybe instead of nit-picking about the bad things we should look for the positive aspects he has to share with the world and give him the appreciation and respect he deserves.

LukeA

Pray for him. And trust God.

Anonymous

TRULY HE HAS TALENT , MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE INUDUSTRY TODAY ... BECAUSE HE HAS A HEART . MOST ARTIST DO ANYTHING THING TO STAY FAMOUS.HE WANTS TO SHOW US IT IS BETTER POOR THAN FAME .ARTIST LIKE LIL WANYE TODAY IS A SELL OUT , AND YOU CAN SEE HE IS BECAUSE HE CAN'T RAP FOR HIS LIFE .MY POINT IS NEVER BE PUT DOWN BY OTHERS,EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE LIFE THE MEDIA ADVERTISE TO YOU ... YOUR BETTER OF THE WAY YOU ARE . AMEN NEVER EVER EVER BELIVE WHAT THE MEDIA IS TELLING YOU , THEY AR EFULL OF LIES AND MISS INTERPRETATION.

Anonymous

EMINEM IS TRYING TO TURN HIS FAITH TO GOD , HE USE TO PRAY TO GOD , THEN SATAN , NOW GOD AFTER WHAT HAD HAPPEN TO ALL OF HIS FRIENDS , AND HIS BEST FRIEND PROOF . INCLUDING WHAT HAD HAPPEN WITH HIS FAMILY .

Anonymous

Kim Clement had a prophetic word back in 2005 or 2006 about 5 great evangelists He would be raising up, one would be Eminem. I just found my old stash of "to watch" prophecies from years ago and came across that one today and then found this site.

Praise God and His will be done. He's not done with M.M.

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates