Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Quest of a Real Man: Albert Pujols Is Fighting All the Right Battles

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

So much time is spent in the media highlighting celebrities' and athletes' falls from grace. So many articles and news reports cover mischievous deeds and alleged actions that it seems as though no one can be trusted (famous or not). It's heartbreaking.

Enter Albert Pujols: husband, father, follower of Jesus Christ, First Baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals and arguably one of the best players playing "The Game" (Major League Baseball) today - maybe ever; only time will tell. Unfortunately, steroids has damaged the credibility of the game thanks to several of the game's "greats": Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, Raphael Palmiero, Roger Clemens and, most recently, Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez, to name a few. Since becoming one of baseball's most feared hitters (he is the only player in Major League history to hit 30 homeruns in each of his first nine seasons), Pujols' name has been included (wrongly, as far as many in sports can tell) in the ring of suspicion for players playing "dirty" (using steroids). Albert Pujols, however, isn't standing by idly as people try to tarnish his image; he's on a quest to clean up baseball, but more importantly demonstrate to anyone willing to listen/watch what a man of integrity looks like.

A recent article in the USA Today (written by Bob Nightengale) does an amazing job of detailing this journey of Pujols. It is a very challenging piece, mainly because of the fire inside of Pujols (which is detailed so well by Nightengale in his article) to prove to the world that not only is he clean, but his integrity and relationship with God is more valuable to him than any dollar amount. Here are some highlights (quotes) from this fantastic article:

  • On his name being falsely linked to steroids: "...just because Manny made a mistake, now I have to pay? Just because A-Rod made a mistake, now I have to pay? Oh, guilt by association? That's wrong. For people to be suspicious of me because of the year I'm having and for people to say I just haven't been caught, that makes me angry and disappointed."
  • Pujols, who was tested as a part of MLB's new testing program (for steroids and drugs) six times last season alone, says he is willing to be tested daily to silence the skeptics. He even takes his guarantee that he is clean a step further: "Come test me every day if you want... Everything I ever made in this game I would give back to the Cardinals if I got caught."
  • On being a Believer, baseball hero and role model: "I want to be the guy people look up to. But I want to be the person who represents God, represents my family and represents the Cardinals the right way. So many people can't wait until I do something negative. I can't understand it. That's sad, because I want to be that poster boy in baseball. Just give me the chance."
  • About protecting his marriage and family, his reputation and his relationship with God, Nightengale states that Pujols "doesn't drink or smoke. He doesn't have a tattoo or wear earrings. He doesn't go to bars, nightclubs or any place where his character could be assaulted." In his own words, Pujols says "If we're in a hotel and a woman gets on the elevator by herself, I'll wait or the next one. People have their agenda. You have to be careful who you can trust. It's the same thing with pictures. I'll have my picture taken on the field, but not off the field. Nowadays with photo technology, you can do so many things."
  • Regarding Pujols' reputation among his peers, Nightengale quotes several players and managers who speak highly of his integrity (on and off the field), his legacy as a player and someone who is highly favored and respected.
In an age where so many people live for themselves and live in a manner that ensures their own happiness (some to a degree that doesn't consider anyone but themselves), it is refreshing and challenging to see a man fight for his integrity, his wife and marriage, his children, his respect as a professional and his reputation as a true Believer and follower of Jesus Christ. While I've always admired Albert Pujols professionally (who has been a staple of both my fantasy baseball teams since his rookie year), I am now a fan of the man. A man who fights so dearly for all the right things in life, knowing that fight will be his greatest legacy, is worthy of being watched and emulated (much like Paul encouraged those younger in faith to do with him - "follow me, for I am following Christ").

KUDOS ALBERT PUJOLS! Checkout his family foundation site for more on Albert Pujols and his mission.

Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!
Or you can email me at: christianthechristian.c2@gmail.com

Images borrowed from profantasybaseball.com and Getty Images.
_________________

0 comments:

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates