Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bristol Palin Who? Levi Johnson Who?

Tuesday, September 2, 2008
I’m not going to begin to pretend like I know either of these teens because I don’t. What I’m willing to bet, however, is that neither one of them thought their “private” lives and relationship would become National News. “Typical” teens, I guess (whatever that really means), having fun and testing the waters in multiple ways now have a national audience aware of their lifestyles. Partying, alcohol and, obviously, sex (evidenced by her recent announcement that she’s 5-months pregnant) were apparently regular parts of their lives (as reported by news outlets and seen in pics on personal MySpace pages). While I agree with Sen. Obama, that the life of the candidates children should have no bearing on their politics, there are some talking points which need be addressed, if for no other reason to help teens see what consequences look like.

One month ago no one outside of Alaska had probably ever heard of 17-year old Bristol or 18-year old Levi, yet here we stand and these two teens are nationally known. Regardless of whether or not it’s relevant to the Presidential Campaign, there is no doubt neither are fond of the situation they are in:

1. Their “poor choices” are being aired to the world. Whether or not it is the public’s business, it is still news/gossip and being talked about regularly.

2. Their lifestyle (not just the pregnancy) has not just affected them, but their families, Bristol’s mother’s career, their town and most importantly, their unborn child.

3. Their lifestyle and decisions will carry with them the rest of their lives (and not just because they conceived a baby out of wedlock). They will unfortunately be remembered as wild teens that got pregnant and affected (in some capacity, maybe not in totality) Sarah Palin’s campaign as the Vice President of the United States of America.

Again, I do not think their decisions are worthy of national scrutiny, however, this ought to serve as a reminder to students that (something I say to my students all the time) “the decisions we make today dictate the life we lead tomorrow.” This should also serve as a reminder to all teens that your decisions do not just affect you – good or bad, they affect MANY! I know this is tough for many teens to understand (I know, because it wasn’t something I understood despite my parent’s pleading with me), but it’s true. There is no such thing as a “private sin” – when we choose to live selfishly it hurts others. Right now, there is no teen in America that realizes this more than Levi or Bristol. I have no doubt Levi and Bristol wished today’s news’ headlines looked a little different and probably would have decided upon a different lifestyle had they known what today would have in store for them (and her mom).


I pray that despite this rough road, both will look to God for strength and forgiveness. I pray that both will learn from this and will use this experience as a new beginning… as a new foundation for them where they realize the gravity of their decisions and then live lives dedicated to God and purity.

2 comments:

Anonymous

I think this blog is a wonderful reminder that even though we think sin is hurting no one, many people are involved. Should selfishness come before others?

Anonymous

From the ANONYMOUS DAD:
I could not agree more! I thing this is an excellent example of understanding how the ramifications our decisions not only effect us, but our family and friends as well. I believe a lot of adults should heed this lesson as well. Christian, I believe this is an outstanding article and I really appreciate how you see the teaching opportunity in this situation.
God Bless these young teens and please let them glean wisdom and understanding from their actions and please guide them to seek Your forgiveness and raise that precious child in Your way. I Jesus' Name, Amen.

God Bless our Christian youth and provide them understanding and wisdom. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates