Friday, September 12, 2008

Virginity's Price Tag = $1 million

Friday, September 12, 2008

News Article: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,420681,00.html

Apparently most things do have a price, at least according to 22 year old “Natalie Dylan” (her pseudonym) who is auctioning off her virginity to the highest bidder. While she doesn’t have a specific figure in mind, she has said that $1 million has crossed her mind (according to a report I saw on one of the morning shows – GMA, Today, etc… I don’t remember which one). “Why would she do that?” you ask. Her answer: “to pay for college.”

As a fellow sufferer of “college debt” (I have plenty of student loans out that are being paid off verrrryyyyy sloooowwwwwllllllyyyyy) I can relate to Ms. “Dylan’s” predicament, as well as her desire to be financially stable. Matter of fact I’ve dreamt about a check for $100,000 magically showing up a our house to take care of all our student loans, debts and to have some left over to give us a fresh start at better financial decision making (compared to those decisions we made as young, married college students); however, auctioning off my wife, kids, my reputation, my faith, my dignity, etc. has never been an option.

She states: "I don't think auctioning my virginity will solve all my problems, but it will create some financial stability." I agree… it very well could give her some initial financial stability… but at what cost? She seems to be intuitive enough to know that the money won’t fix all her problems; however, it doesn’t appear as though she’s thought through the ramifications of her decision (namely, all the new problems that will arise when she follows through). Here are some possibilities:

1. The possible negative feelings she may experience as a result (such as feeling cheap, used, etc.)

2. The negative reputation she will certainly gain (she will be known as the girl who “slept her way through college”… people who sleep their way to the top/through something are rarely respected and are typically viewed as someone who didn’t earn their accomplishments)

3. The label of “prostitute” will certainly come with this decision, since she is receiving money/college education for sex. Side Note: This activity illegal in 49.5 of the 50 states, which is probably why she is doing the deed in a “legal” brothel in Nevada (the .5 that still allow it), so she can avoid criminal charges in addition to the money.


These three are just possibilities and are not exhaustive, as she will certainly face several other “problems” as a result of her decision.

I pray “Natalie” will change her mind and value herself in a way that money never can. That she will see her value the way God does (Psalm 8:3-9, John 3:16-21, Ephesians 1:4-10). I also pray that as she weighs the consequences of this decision she will think also of those who are going to be affected by her choice (her present family, her future spouse, her future children, her future employer and all of their reputations). Finally, I pray she will turn from the quick fix to solve her problems and look to God for answers, healing and help as she navigates through this turbulent time in her life.

For those who are reading this right now and have similar aspirations (selling yourself or part of yourself, to include pics and such) for quick solutions, know that there are other ways!! If you would like answers or guidance, feel free to email me... I may not have all the answers, but I will certainly help you find them!


"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36)

Until next time my C2 bloggers... CONTEND FOR THE FAITH!! :-)

0 comments:

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates