Thursday, August 28, 2008

50% Student/Employee, 30% Internet/Online Community Member/Video Gamer, 10% Family Member, 9% Athlete/Club Member (for students), 1% Christian

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Unfortunately, the above numbers are typically more true, than not; in particular the 1% Christian part. I don’t believe Christians set out to be 1% Christian, but somehow their lives have developed so that only 1% of their time/effort/thoughts are Christ-centered, the rest is merely “life.” This is what I refer to as “Categorical Christianity.” Categorical in that they live their lives in categories: “right now I am being an employee, later I will be a student, after that I will be a Christian.” Yes, I know that Christians rarely throw away their title of “Christian,” but rarely do I see it influence or become the foundation of the other “areas” of their lives (with the exception of maybe being persuaded to be more moral – not doing as many “bad” things). In family life, relationships/marriage (to include deciding WHO to marry), school, work, online communities and other areas/categories, faith is something that is typically done on Sundays (and occasional Wednesdays or other days). Here’s how this (categorical Christianity) plays out in everyday life:

  • Christians support rights more than Biblical standard (such as a well known Christian politician supporting a woman’s rights over protecting the lives of unborn children)

  • Christians choose to date/marry non-Christians rather than pursue a relationship where God is supreme according to both partners (yes, I know many non-believing spouses become believers because of their spouse’s faith, but so to do many marriages crumble because of such foundations… it even crippled a nation – checkout King Solomon dividing Israel in 1 Kings)

  • Christians embrace being entertained above purity, choosing to accept and allow movies, music, television, fashion, etc. into their lives that rarely reflect anything of Godly character

  • Christians choose to work (or anything – school, clubs, sports, etc.) over church (yes, I know – “you don’t have to go to church to be a Christian,” but obviously it must have some sort of importance otherwise Christ wouldn’t have created it… this is another conversation for another time, so I’ll digress for now…)

These are but a very FEW examples (I didn’t even really touch family, friends, school, jobs, etc.). In each of these examples, a Christian’s faith is categorized – separated from their lives and/or decisions. I’m not saying Christians should live according to a bunch of Christian rules and regulations, but that their so-called “faith” (the “Rock” upon which they are supposed to build their lives) ought to be the foundation for their lives and decisions. That it ought to be: more important than anything else, the goal/drive of their lives and the place from which they make their decisions.

“Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does. If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.” (James 1:22-26)

And that’s what being a 1% (Categorical) Christian is all about, Charlie Brown…

2 comments:

Anonymous

I love your blog entry! What a perfect way to describe our society today. Unfortunately, I think that this is not a society problem, but a human nature problem. Even through out the Bible, from Genesis on, we see people who put their own desires above God every time. The challenge comes in not being one of those people, but being a man like Paul, who chose to totally change his life and be sold out for God. I wish more could be like him... and like you.:)

MamaforJesus

Hey Christian - I loved this entry. I learned a lot from it. Sometimes I'm guilty of making Christianity a lower percentage in my life than I should. I am better than I used to be, but I know I still have changes to make. Thank for your insight. It blessed me today.

Allison

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates