Monday, June 23, 2008

A Teacher's Brain - An Ode to Teachers

Monday, June 23, 2008



My wife is a teacher in a third grade class - something she loves and is PHENOMENAL at doing (though she'd never say that of herself). *Steps onto my mini-soapbox*: What's expected of teachers now-a-days is unbelievable, yet they go back everyday ready for more. Paperwork, individualized education plans (sometimes as many as 8-10 per class, in addition to the normal curriculum), meetings, parent emails/conferences, meetings with kids, testing scores, school duties... oh, and at some point teaching. CRAZY! But yet they still do it! *Stepping off my box now... thank you*
I know I'm biased, but seriously my wife is amazing. With all that she endures (some days even being drained to the point of tears - and even to the point when there are no more tears to shed), she loves teaching and helping children grow in their academic pursuits! She is an AMAZING teacher!!!!!!
Today, in the midst of closing out the year, getting report cards done, meetings, teaching, cleaning the classroom (and other end of the year tasks) she found some humor in the moment and wrote this entertaining poem and emailed it to me (so I thought I'd share - teachers will especially get a kick out of it):

"My Brain is Full"
By Laura (the Christian) the Teacher

“My brain is full!”
the third grade teacher cried!
With a kiddie pool, lil’ green army men, and ice to find!
With pizza money to collect and call and order!
Where to find the deals? Where to deliver?

“My brain is full!”
The third grade teacher cried!
With baby shower money to collect,
and gift cards to buy!
With going to the store,
finding a cake,
finishing the school year!
My my my!

Not to mention report cards,
parent invitations to plays,
and cumulative folders to do!
This teacher's brain is full to the brim!
Need… coffee…quick! Fill it to the rim!

And that's what "the brain of a teacher" is all about Charlie Brown...

4 comments:

Anonymous

Nice.

Anonymous

I don't know how they do it every day. It takes someone special to teach. Great for Laura, we need a country full of teachers as good as her.

Anonymous

Yay Laura!! I love you and your family and everything that ya'll do for me. Yay!!!
Nice poem. Creative. yay!!!

MamaforJesus

Ok, Christian. I'm going to school to be a teacher. I didn't need to see that poem from Laura!! Ha, just kidding. I think teachers need to have that passion to teach just like Laura does. I believe I have it too. It is one of the hardest, most exhausting, underpaid jobs in the world! Yet I still can't wait to teach. I bet Laura is a great teacher.

Allison Hicks

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates