Friday, June 5, 2009

Spencer Pratt Baptized By Stephen Baldwin: A Christian Squared Response

Friday, June 5, 2009



I've seen one episode of The Hills. I've never watched one episode of "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" (nor will I). I know very little about Spencer Pratt or Heidi Montag. The few times I've seen them on TV, in the news or in an interview they seem completely removed from reality. I had no interest in reading anything about "Speidi," but then I hear about Mr. Montag getting batpized by Stephen Baldwin (actor, speaker, Baldwin Brother who has starred in almost every celebrity reality show made and is a Born Again Believer) and I had to find out more. Here is the video of his baptism.



I never thought I'd actually agree with Janice Dickenson (self proclaimed Original Supermodel), but I don't condone this either. I believe it is a mockery. I do not fault Stephen Baldwin for this (it seems like he was caught off guard and tried to do the best with the situation that he could on live television) and to be honest I can't fault Spencer because he obviously doesn't know better. However, if he was truly serious about his new found "faith" you would think he would actually try to respect it and learn more about it. Instead he just spontaneously decides to be baptized and "washed clean of his filth" and sin (for the record - not what baptism is about) and declares on national television (in an earlier interview) that in testing God to see if He was real he challenged God to arrange a meeting with (no, I'm not joking) Miley Cyrus... "and [Jesus] did it!"

I pray Spencer is serious about his faith, but there is very little that seems sincere or genuine about his conversion (or his personality, if I'm being honest). He seems like a confused and lost individual and his "faith" appears to be more of a publicity stunt (as if the pop world doesn't hear enough about him as it is). If this is the case, as a believer, I pray Spencer would find another vehicle to get attention instead of trying to defile the name and sanctity of Christ's name. If it is a quasi-semi sincere pursuit, then I pray he start reading the Bible and seeking the counsel of a trusted pastor (with his wife, Heidi).

Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!

__________________

1 comments:

mothman

To the non-believing world, baptism is something that happens to babies in a church...I'm sure many non-belivers smirked at the thought of Spencer being baptized. My hope is that Spencer's faith is genuine and that he can do something worthwhile with his life and cause people to look back at the baptism in awe of how good God is.

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates