Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Move Over Susan Boyle - This 21 Year Old Girl Really Never Has Been Kissed

Wednesday, June 3, 2009
As soon as Susan Boyle broke on to the scene as a web sensation (thanks to her "I Dreamed a Dream" performance on Britain's Got Talent), the immediate subtitle to her amazing performance was something to the effect of "And She's Never Been Kissed." This, of course, was later found to be untrue; however, there is a 21 year old girl in Washington who anxiously awaits her July wedding day to experience her first ever kiss.



Rachel Welch decided at 14 years old that she wanted to wait to kiss anyone until her wedding day. While I know Rachel isn't the only girl or guy to make this commitment, it is awesome to see some news outlets pay attention to a girl and guy with hearts bent toward experiencing real love, passion and intimacy the way God designed it be enjoyed.

My favorite line in her interview (with fiance Todd Ritter) was the one where she answered the objections of Todd's friends who asked "what if she's a terrible kisser? Or what if there are no sparks?" She replied "then we get our whole lives to work on it." AWESOME! Marriage is the place we are supposed to develop sparks and learn how to enjoy all the joys and benefits of sexual intimacy. To think we learn by practicing on others, then marrying someone else is a ridiculous lie that our culture has bought in to without question.

Props to Rachel (and Todd for honoring her and her promise)... this is the foundation of real love!

Share this video with your teens! Also, I encourage you to check out my post "Abstinence is Wrong" for more about this sort of commitment. Singles, take heart - it is never too late!

Want to join the conversation? Click here to comment or ask a question!

EDITORIAL NOTE: Again, I apologize for the long delay in writing. My parents have been in town and so I've taken some time off to be with them. They left earlier today (bummer), so I am back writing and dialoguing!

3 comments:

Lisa
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa

Thanks for making such a beautiful post about Rachel and Todd. I have been sad to see so many negative comments on different sites about them. They are the real deal and great mentors to the teens in their youth group! Glad I found your blog.

By the way .. I only removed my previous comment because I saw that Rachel's name was not capitalized ... I didn't know it would show I removed the comment :)

Christian the Christian

Based on your comment, I'm going to assume you know them (if so, give them a hug/hand shake from me and tell them I said "thank you!!!!"). As a youth pastor their story excites me beyond words (it defies everything the world - Christian and non-Christian - teaches about "love" and relationships; it puts the focus back on God and not on fulfilling self-seeking desires... in return they truly begin to experience a real love relationship). As a father it gives me hope that such a commitment is possible (for my children, I pray).
Not sure how you found the blog, but am very glad you did! Hope to hear more from you! Thank you so much for your comment!
Blessings!!
Christian

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates