Thursday, January 15, 2009

President-Elect Obama and My Dad

Thursday, January 15, 2009
To begin, I did not vote for Barack Obama. I think I've stated that in a past post, but in case I didn't there it is. Even though I didn't vote for him due to a difference of opinion in policy and such (no need in going into it), I am a fan of his in some aspects; in particular, his role as a father.

Here he is, President-Elect Barack Obama, a week from one of the nation's most historic inaugural ceremonies... making plans for the nation... making appointments to official positions of his cabinet... studying/reading/learning to better prepare himself as the next Commander-in-Chief (the Leader of the Free World)... and writing a letter to his daughters?!?!

Wasn't there a document needing his signature somewhere? Another appointment to make or meet? Another reporter to talk to? Another Staff meeting to attend?

Probably.

But instead he took time out of his schedule to write a letter to his daughters (one they'll most likely hold onto and cherish the rest of their lives - and even pass on to their children). If you haven't heard about the letter, you can read about it here. Now THAT is a real man! Busy... busy... busy... but NEVER to busy to take his daughters to school... love his wife... or write his daughters an affectionate letter expressing his dreams for them as growing young women.

Fathers, take note. It is an amazing privilege to lead your family. It also bears an enormous responsibility. Children (trust me on this) WANT to hear your heart, want you to lead them and want you to pray for and dream for them. I know this not only from working with teens, but from being one myself (as we all were once) and having a father (and mother) who DID write to me. I still have the letter my dad wrote to me on my graduation day from high school. It meant the world to me to have in his own handwriting his dreams for me... his affection expressed for me... and the pride he had in me for my accomplishments. More than that - that he took the time to sit down and write such an endearing letter truly touched me, a rough, know-it-all (all the while not knowing hardly anything) 17-year-old ready to tackle the world. Even better, still, is how much he loves, cares for and cherishes his wife (my mother).

President Obama and I may not agree on most policy, on the origin or maintanance of real freedom, on the decisions needed to be made to undergird the moral structure of this country, but we do see eye-to-eye on one very key fact: there is no unit, group or sphere of influence more essential than the family (created by God in the very beginning)!

I respect President-Elect Obama... not because he's the President-to-be and not because he tells the country they ought to reconsider the importance of family (in particular the parents), but because he LIVES his message. He is a real man - not because of the policy he signs or rejects, but the way he mans-up to lead his family. Now I pray that he leads them in the only direction that never fails, always hopes and never perishes: the Creator, God (through His Son, Jesus Christ). After all, what's it profit anyone to gain the whole world (education from the best institutions, wealth, fame, powerful positions, etc.) and "lose their soul?"

Even moreso, however, I admire, respect and love my father for being the kind of man who in all his military training was still soft enough in heart to pour out his heart to me in letters... to sit and have heart-to-heart talks with me... to love me unconditionally... and ultimately show me what a real man looks like.

Take heart, men. It's a new day in America... not because we have a new president, but because we have men like my dad setting the standard for their families - without press corps, media outlets and newspapers covering their every move. Just doing their God-given job and doing it proudly. Thank you President-Elect Obama for also being that kind of man, despite the national pressure.


________________

1 comments:

Anonymous

I totally enjoyed reading this. I was thinking about Tommy. His dad was never around much when he was growing up, and they didn't have very many heart-to-hearts, but let me tell you - he has turned that around to become a leader in our family. Spending quality time with our girls has been on the top of his priority list. Even when he doesn't have time for anything else, he makes time for them. I happen to have parents I was very close to so it's hard to relate to Tommy's situation. The bottom line is he wants to make his children's lives better and more secure than his own childhood. Fathers are SO important. Thank you for the last couple of posts on men/fathers.

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates