Monday, October 13, 2008

"New" Britney - Same Message

Monday, October 13, 2008


Britney Spears - “America’s Sweetheart” - is back, apparently, and her new song/video “Womanizer” is all the buzz. Reviews are positive from critics and music bloggers to ecstatic Britney fans alike. And what lessons has she learned from her struggles (anyone remember “bald Britney”?, losing her children, being caught in several public incidents, etc.)? Apparently none. Her music has not matured and neither has she, unfortunately.


“Womanizer” represents everything parents ought to teach their daughters and sons to NOT to be, or look for in potential spouses: flirty, morally lost, selfish and focused only on sexual attraction (not real love, intimacy, etc.). The song's lyrics have a hint of hope to them as she tells the womanizer she has no time for him; however, she ultimtely blows it by telling him "no" in a flirty manner while playful acknowledging that she does like him and want him. Since I have no desire in promoting anyone watching the video (lyrics can be found here), here are a few highlights from it:

  • Britney appears entirely nude throughout the majority of the video, laying down and moving provocatively (she wasn’t able to cover everything, so the strategically placed “blur” helps her
  • “Morning after Britney” shows her in a shirt and bra cooking breakfast for the “womanizer” man who she apparently slept with
  • “Office Britney” dances provocatively around the office, flirting with the “womanizer” and posing for his iPhone pics while sitting on the copy machine and making a copy of what’s under her skirt (yes, she shows the camera the copy)
  • Britney and dancers (male and female) dance sexually around the “womanizer” while kissing him and each other
  • "Morning After Britney” exacts her revenge by making her bed while he’s in the shower (yes it shows that too) and showing him who’s boss by not sleeping with him again

  • There are several other over-the-top and suggestive sequences, but I think you get the idea

So, let me get this straight… Britney proves to the womanizer (the man) that she is “all woman” by stripping, sleeping with him, dancing sexually around him, teasing him, then walking away? So the essence of her value as a woman is in her sexuality?

What about her motherhood?

Being a wife (former wife)?

Loving others less fortunate?

Loving God (the One she said she used to love with all her heart as a child/teen)?


My heart hurts for her… I thought after all she had been through, Britney was going to come out of it all with better understanding and clarity of mind. Instead, we get the same, sexually-driven Britney who speaks sweetly in interviews, but has no idea who she truly is or what she’s truly worth.


Parents: Since most of your teens and tweens have (or will have, soon) heard this song. Read the lyrics and use it as a conversational tool. Discuss what God describes as valuable. Who they are in Christ. What marriage is and why they ought to look forward to sexuality in that type of relationship versus what's seen in this video (and other TV shows). Here are some Bible passages for you to check out to help: 2 Timothy 2:21-22, Ephesians 1:3-14, James 1:22-25, 1 Peter 3:3-5

______

1 comments:

Anonymous

For some odd reason I've always had a soft spot for Britney. I haven't given up on her. I would have thought that after all she's gone through, it would have brought her closer to God, but I was wrong. Honestly I am having trouble finding a "pop" star that honors the Lord these days. It's sad that our kids look up to these "artists". A perfect example is how I "idolized" Madonna in the early 90's. I was influenced in the wrong direction. So these stars can say they don't want to be role models, but it doesn't change the fact that they do influence tweens and teens. My kids are not teens yet, but I plan to be informed of what their ears are hearing. I'm not bashing my parents. They taught us well. My parents wanted the best for us, but I don't think they paid a lot of attention to the lyrics of the songs we listened to. I mean, I had a Snoop (Doggy) Dogg in my walkman! I remember those lyrics! I'll keep praying for Britney and the rest of the entertainment industry. It makes me sad how God has been moved away from the center of our society to somewhere way at the end of the line.

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates