Saturday, July 5, 2008

MOVIE REVIEWS: "Definitely, Maybe" and "John Adams"

Saturday, July 5, 2008
First, a note on my movie reviews. Since my wife and I rarely make it out to movies (kids, $$ - $10 per person adds up quick!, etc.), many of my reviews are of movies on DVD. My primary concern is first with its message (what worldview is being offered?) and then with its technical and creative elements (was it good? well written? creatively done? how's the cinematography? did the medium properly portray the message, or did it hinder it? etc.). On to the reviews (which will pop up here and there in my blog)...



DEFINETELY, MAYBE
(definitely, well, maybe 3 stars)
sticking with the cliche star-rating system
I am quite conflicted... I have 2 ratings for this movie. First, the positive: 4 stars for acting and creative story line. Make no mistake about it, this IS a typical Romantic Comedy, but with a creative approach (can't say much without spoiling it - no it's not THAT big of a twist, but an interesting one).
Now for the not-so-positive feedback: 2 stars. There are several issues with this movie. First, its utter lack of understanding of what love is. Second, its reliance on the child to be the redemptive hero (with not so wise advice - "dad, trust me, you're not happy"). Third, all the characters' consistent lack of moral direction is ASTOUNDING (and why would the dad talk at length about such a lifestyle with his CHILD?!?!). Fourth, as it is with most Hollywood movies now, there is very little consequence for such poor morals. I did, however, appreciate the film at least making an attempt at pointing out the dad's moral flaws on occasion - even better was that it was his daughter busting him ("you did THAT?"), then forgiving him ("I still love you"). How often we forget our decisions not only affect us, but those around us (and some times not even until years and years later). So as you can see, I am conflicted, so I split the difference and gave it 3 stars.


JOHN ADAMS
(5 Patriotic Stars)

PHENOMENAL! I thoroughly enjoyed the first and second discs of this series and look forward to watching the remaining two episodes. To be honest, I was quite nervous watching another HBO series (the others have been unwatchable due to the ridiculous amounts of nudity, sex, language, etc.), but this one has set a new standard! Episode 2 is particularly powerful - especially the scene where the forefathers declare independence... not at all how I pictured that scene taking place (what a powerful scene!). Paul Giamatti is a gem of an actor - every time I see him he's better and better. The cast assembled for this mini-series was brilliant - Tom Wilkinson (as Ben Franklin? Who knew?!?! Good pick!), David Morse (would have NEVER pegged him as George Washington, but WOW! Great performance), Laura Linney... really good cast. Even better is the amazing view of God they had (my fav. line to date in a movie is in this; Abigail Adams to her son as he was leaving: "Remember, you are accountable to our Maker for every decision you make."). The forefathers, though not perfect (or played as perfect), had an amazing sense of their place in this world and their accountability to God. Both my wife and I are loving this (and that says a lot because my wife does not typically enjoy historical pieces)... on to Disc 3!!!

0 comments:

 
Christian the Christian (Christian Squared) ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates